National Composting Week starts on Sunday 3 May and to help you get started, West Sussex County Council’s Waste Prevention Team have 12 compost kitchen caddies to give away.
They want to get as many people composting as possible.
Around 50% of the rubbish we throw away at home can be composted. Not only can you compost your garden waste, it can make a big difference to what goes into the rubbish bin as household items such as torn cardboard, rotten fruit and tea bags can be composted.
Waste Prevention Advisors will be attending several events throughout May – and will be giving caddies away on selected days to the first three people to chat to them.
So if you’re planning to attend any of the following events, why not pop along and visit the team? Don’t be shy – just ask if they have a caddy for you!
• Sunday 3 May and Monday 4 May – Food and Folk Festival, Weald & Downland Museum, Town Lane, Singleton, Chichester, PO18 0EU
• Sunday 10 May – Haywards Heath Spring Fair, Muster Green, Haywards Heath, RH16 6AG
• Saturday 16 May – Kinder Living Show, Drill Hall, Denne Road, Horsham, RH12 1JF
David Barling, the County Council’s Cabinet Member for Residents’ Services, said, “If seven households composted at home for a year that would save one tonne of green waste going to landfill. That’s a big saving, which is why we support National Composting Week.
“If you need some inspiration to get started we’ll have a number of guest compost bloggers on our website throughout May. First up is Jim Buckland, Head Gardener at West Dean Gardens near Chichester, who will be offering his top tips and advice, so why not go online and find out more?”
The first blog will be available on Friday 1 May at Waste Prevention West Sussex, where you will also find further information including an A-Z of what to compost.
Latest posts by Guest Blogger (see all)
- Win a family ticket for the gorgeous Royal Pavilion Ice Rink Brighton - October 30, 2017
- Winner Aimee heads to the Grand to taste a cocktail or five - September 4, 2017
- 11 Sussex Festivals to Rock your Summer - July 26, 2017